Tuesday 25 November 2014

Goldcrest Screen Print

Here is a simple design for a single colour screen print I did in the Autumn of 2013 as part of an Introduction to Printmaking course at Wensum Lodge, Norwich.



It started off as a sketch in gouache watercolour, one based on an old thumb-nail sketch from my teenage sketchbooks...



The sketch was photocopied, enlarged, traced and simplified...


Eventually, I decided to include just the wings and tail, the beak and eye and the crest and moustache...


I used tracing paper to make the paper-stencil for the screen. It worked well - once!

After that, the paper absorbed the ink and cockled badly. The second print was a disaster! Look closely and you see it is wrinkled, and each wrinkle has printed a jagged edge.


Fortunately, I made two stencils! One more print, enough to make an experimental design on a colourful torn-paper collage..



I had to remake the stencil with stonger paper. In fact, I just used photocopier paper. It was okay for about 3 or 4 prints before it cockled, too. Chance to print a t-shirt...


And, a close up detail...


I used System-3 acrylics with fabric-medium which is fixed with a warm iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment