Wednesday 26 November 2014

Cormorant Lino-cut

In the Spring of this year, I carried on with some more printmaking...

Following an excercise from a book called Learning Linocut by Susan Yeates, I made these different linocuts of a cormorant in flight...

I photocopied a black and white photograph I had taken from Fen Hide at RSPB Strumpshaw Fen...



I then traced the outline and put a layer of graphite on the other side of the tracing paper...



The first linocut followed the line of the drawing...


I used a blend of two colours: yellow and burnt sienna. 
Notice the print is a reverse of the drawing.

Next, I cut out the shape of the bird to give a negative image. Only the sky is printed, leaving the bird-shape...



I guess if I had printed light ink on dark paper, I might create a silhouette. 


The last print is from a block where I cut out the sky instead, leaving the bird to make a positive shape. I included some minimal details in the bird...





No comments:

Post a Comment