Thursday 27 November 2014

Imitation... in the style of Robert Bateman

When I was a teenager, studying for my A-levels in 1995, I studied the work of my wildlife art hero, Robert Bateman. However, as I switched from The Sciences to Art, I never gave myself the time to really get to grips with painting but you would guess it from this painting!





I gave the original of this painting to my uncle, Paul, in Peckham in London. It is, of course a Blue Tit. It is intended to be painted in the syle of Robert Bateman but perhaps there is a little of the influence of William T. Cooper , too?

Note: William T. Cooper is an Australian painter who featured in a TV programme by David Attenborough at about that time because he illustrated the great taxanomic work of Joseph M. Foreshaw on the Birds of Paradise and Bower Birds which Attenborough claims are his favourite birds of all.

I have two of their books: Parrots of the World and Parrots of Australia.


No comments:

Post a Comment