Saturday 22 November 2014

Introducing me...

Greetings everyone!

This is me and my new blog.

My name is James and I live in Thorpe Hamlet an interesting suburb in the historic city of Norwich in the wonderful county of Norfolk, a wildlife 'mecca' for birdwatchers in eastern England.

England forms part of union of the United Kingdom, or Great Britian if you prefer - a group of islands in the north-east Atlantic on the seaboard of the continent of Europe here on planet Earth!

I moved to Norfolk with my brother, sister, father and mother when I seven years old. We moved from Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire where my father worked as a county architect for Bucks County Council.

On his days off my father would explore the ever-sunny Grand Union Canal and paint many watercolour landscapes. Often we children would join him for his walks.

A near neighbour ran the corner-shop and the end of our street and lived on a canal boat. We visited them once in their home on the water. It must have been when I was about 6 years old. I was awestruck! Wow! People live on boats?

I have always wanted a Narrow Boat of my own. One day, perhaps? Although, I am now over 6 foot tall. I will need to duck my head!

In Thorpe Hamlet, Norwich, NR1, I discovered my local urban woodland. An ancient woodland not far from the heart of Norwich. It was once part of the extensive but historic Thorpe Woods, just across the river. This is Lion Wood a Local Nature Reserve, run by the Norwich City Council. It is a wonderful place and my excape from the noise and disruption of the world.

Lion Wood LNR is where I began my wildlife watching experiences as a teenager. I could escape problems at home. My mother was unwell most of her life. Some days I did not go into school at all but would hide away in my local patch to watch and record the activities of the birds.

I kept notes of my observations in the form of three little sketch books. 

One day, my teachers discovered what I was doing and suggested that I change from the Sciences to studying Art. Of course, I chose to study the work of wildlife artists.

I began to read about the work of Robert Bateman, a Canadian painter of wildlife, and he has been a real inspriation and guiding light ever since.


And so, that is where it all began...

No comments:

Post a Comment